Blog Archive

Thursday, May 9, 2013

Daniel Snyder "We will never change the name of the team"

During an Interview with USA Today Daniel Snyder stated that the Redskins will never change their name. I already posted on this topic but figured I should respond to this. Snyder went on to say

 "As a lifelong Redskins fan, and I think that the Redskins fans understand the great tradition and what it's all about and what it means, so we feel pretty fortunate to be just working on next season." 

While I agree with Snyder on not changing the name, I do not agree with his reason as to why.  Tradition should never be the motivating factor when discussing an ethical or moral decision. The reason the name should not be changed has nothing to do with tradition but instead about if the term is actually offensive. In my opinion it is not and should not be taken in an offensive manner.  However, if a significant population of Native Americans are genuinely ofended by the name I see no problem with changing the name to the Washington Braves.

No comments:

Post a Comment